2013 Annual Meeting Abstracts
Podium Presentation Abstracts
James A. Rand Award
Barbed vs. Standard Sutures for Closure in Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Multicenter Prospective Randomized Trial. Jeremy M. Gililland, MD, et al.
Lawrence D. Dorr Award
Do You Have to Remove a Corroded Femoral Stem? Nitin Goyal, MD, et al.
AAHKS Clinical Research Award
Abstracts in Numeric Order
- Economic Benefit to the Society at Large of TKA in the Young Patient: A Markov Analysis. Hany S. Bedair, MD, et al.
- Younger Age is Associated with a Higher Risk of Periprosthetic Infection and Aseptic Failure after Total Knee Arthroplasty. John P. Meehan, MD, et al.
- Perioperative Morbidity and Mortality of Same Admission Staged Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. Lazaros A. Poultsides, MD, MSc, PhD, et al.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Does Not Increase Perioperative Complications Following Same-Day Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. Mark Figgie, MD, et al.
- Particles from Vitamin-E-Diffused HXL UHMWPE Induce Less Osteolysis Compared to Virgin HXL UHMWPE in a Murine Calvarial Bone Model. Orhun K. Muratoglu, PhD, et al.
- At 5 Years Highly-Porous-Metal Tibial Components Were Durable and Reliable: A Randomized Clinical Trial of 389 Patients. Luis F. Pulido Sierra, MD, et al.
- Correlation of Patient Confidence in Attaining Treatment Goals and Outcomes after Knee Arthroplasty. Joseph F. Styron, MD, PhD, et al.
- Variations in Hospital Billing for Total Joint Arthroplasty. Louis S. Stryker, MD, et al.
- Patients’ Willingness to Contribute to Cost of Novel Implants in Total Joint Arthroplasty. Ran Schwarzkopf, MD, MSc, et al.
- Medicare Fails to Compensate the Additional Time and Effort Associated with Revision Arthroplasty: Is Patient Access to Care at Risk? Gregory K. Deirmengian, MD, et al.
- Prevalence of Radiographic Abnormalities in Senior Athletes With Well-Functioning Hips. Lucas A. Anderson, MD, et al.
- Periacetabular Osteotomy for Acetabular Dysplasia: Are Male Patients at Higher Risk for Secondary Femoroacetabular Impingement? Stephen T. Duncan, MD, et al.
- Genome-Wide Linkage Analysis and Whole Exome Sequencing in a Large Multi-Generation Family Reveal Deleterious Mutations in Severely Affected Individuals with Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip. George Feldman, PhD, DMD, et al.
- Periacetabular Osteotomy after Failed Treatment with Hip Arthroscopy. John C. Clohisy, MD, et al.
- Weighted versus Uniform Dose of Tranexamic Acid in Patients Undergoing Primary, Elective Knee Arthroplasty: A Prospective Randomized Controlled Trial. Brett Levine, MD, MS, et al.
- Prospective Randomized Trial Comparing Peripheral Nerve Blocks and Periarticular Injection for Pain Management after Total Knee Replacement. Mark J. Spangehl, MD, et al.
- A Comparison of Continuous Femoral Nerve Catheter versus Adductor Canal Block for Postoperative Pain Management Following Total Knee Arthroplasty. Lalit Puri, MD, MBA, et al.
- Transfer of Hip Arthroplasty Patients Leads to Increased Cost and Resource Utilization in the Receiving Hospital. Atul F. Kamath, MD, et al.
- Are Patient Reported Allergies a Risk Factor for Poor Outcomes in Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty? Christopher M. Graves, MD, et al.
- Predictors and Complications of Blood Transfusion in Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. Nicholas B. Frisch, MD, MBA, et al.
- Posterior Stabilized versus Cruciate-Substituting Total Knee Arthroplasty: Midterm Results. David F. Scott, MD.
- Radiographic and Technical Factors Associated with Patellar Clunk Syndrome following Posterior Stabilized Total Knee Arthroplasty. James J. Purtill, MD, et al.
- Current Data does not Support Routine use of Patient-Specific Instrumentation in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Pramod B. Voleti, MD, et al.
- Oxford Phase III Medial Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty (UKA) Results of 497 Knees with a Mean 5-year follow-up and Analysis of Predictors of Failure. Stephen Burnett, MD, FRCSC, et al.
- Differences in Short Term Complications Between Unicompartmental and Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Propensity Score Matched Analysis. John J. Callaghan, MD, et al.
- Revising an HTO or UKA to TKA: Is It More Like a Primary TKA or a Revision TKA? Michael B. Cross, MD, et al.
- Trends in Total Hip Arthroplasty in the United States: The Shift to a Younger Demographic. Jacob M. Drew, MD, et al.
- Pain Patterns in Young, Active Patients following Hip Arthroplasty. Ryan M. Nunley, MD, et al.
- Assessment of Durability and Function at Minimum 35 Year follow-up of THA in Patients 50 and Under. Lucian C. Warth, MD, et al.
- Performance of Highly Cross-Linked Polyethylene in Total Hip Arthroplasty in Young and Active Patients. Morteza Meftah, MD, et al.
- Stress and Strain in the Trunnion with Big Heads: Tribocorrosion Turbocharged. Carlos J. Lavernia, MD, FAAOS, et al.
- Direct Anterior versus Mini-Posterior Total Hip Arthroplasty with the Same Advanced Pain Management and Rapid Rehabilitation Protocol: Some Surprises in Early Outcome. Kirsten Poehling Monaghan, MD, et al.
- Direct Anterior Hip Yields Faster Voluntary Cessation of All Walking Aids in a Randomized Trial. Michael J. Taunton, MD, et al.
- Mechanically Assisted Taper Corrosion in Modular TKA. Christina M. Arnholt, BS, et al.
- Stepped Porous Titanium Metaphyseal Sleeves for Tibial Defects in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. Joseph S. Gondusky, MD, et al.
- Early Clinical Results of Mobile Bearing Revision TKA: A Multicenter Study. Douglas A. Dennis, MD, et al.
- Clinical & Radiographic Outcomes of Cemented vs. Diaphyseal Engaging Cementless Stems in Aseptic Revision TKA. Walter B. Beaver, MD, et al.
- Decreased Blood Transfusions following Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty using Tranexamic Acid. Christopher A. Samujh, MD, et al.
- Aspirin May be Adequate for Prevention of Thromboembolic Events following Revision Total Joint Arthroplasty. Javad Parvizi, MD, FRCS, et al.
- Positive Culture from the Liquid Medium Only after Total Joint Arthroplasty: Is it Reliable? Eric B. Smith, MD, et al.
- Diagnosing Periprosthetic Joint Infection: The Era of the Biomarker Has Arrived. Carl A. Deirmengian, MD, et al.
- The Host Response: Toll Like Receptor Expression in Periprosthetic Tissues as a Biomarker for Deep Joint Infection. Cara A. Cipriano, MD, et al.
- Prospective, Randomized, Blinded Study to Evaluate the Efficacy of Two Surgical Skin Preparations in Reducing SSI after TJA. Richard H. Rothman, MD, PhD, et al.
- Public Reporting of Prosthetic Joint Infections: Do Claims Based Comorbidities Adequately Capture Case-Mix? Hilal Maradit-Kremers, MD, MSc, et al.
- Comparison of a Clinically-Derived Prosthetic Joint Infection (PJI) Risk Model and the NHSN Risk Model. Tad M. Mabry, MD, et al.
- Risk Factors for Infection after Hip Arthroplasty: Preventable vs. Non-Preventable Infection. James D. Slover, MD, et al.
- Reproducible Fixation with a Modular, Fluted, Tapered Titanium Stem in Revision Hip Arthroplasty At 8-13 Years Follow-up. Jose A. Rodriguez, MD, et al.
- Outcomes of Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty: Analysis of a US based Total Joint Replacement Registry. Stefano A. Bini, MD, et al.
- Revision THA in Obese Patients Is Associated with High Reoperation Rates at Short Term follow Up. Michael H. McGraw, MD, et al.
- Outcomes after Revision of Metal-on-Metal Hip Resurfacing Arthroplasty. Thomas P. Gross, MD, et al.
- Predictive Demographic and Comorbid Factors on Functional Outcomes following Revision Hip Arthroplasty. Ivan M. Tomek, MD, FRCSC, et al.
- Construct Rigidity: Keystone for Reconstructing Pelvic Discontinuity. J. Ryan Martin, MD, et al.
- How Does Acetabular Component Orientation Change from Supine to Standing in Patients with Total Hip Arthroplasty? John V. Tiberi, MD, et al.
- Adverse Clinical Outcomes in a Primary Modular Neck/Stem System. Camilo Restrepo, MD, et al.
- 10 Year follow-up of Highly Cross-Linked Polyethylene using Radiostereometric Analysis (RSA). Henrik Malchau, MD, PhD, et al.
- A Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Wear of Oxinium and Cobalt-Chrome on Standard and Cross-Linked Polyethylene.James P. Waddell, MD, et al.
- 3 Year Multicenter RSA Evaluation of Vitamin E Diffused Highly Cross-Linked Polyethylene Liners and Acetabular Cup Stability. Nanna H. Sillesen, MD, et al.
- Stratification of Total Hip Arthroplasty Survival according to BMI as a Continuous Variable. Eric R. Wagner, MD, et al.
- Percent Body Fat More Associated with Perioperative Outcomes after Total Joint Arthroplasty than BMI. K. Ledford, MD, et al.